Mouth-watering Omaha Steaks

Saturday, January 11, 2014

TV: 'The Sound of Music'

Yeah, it was over a month ago, but thanks to the wonders of technology (video recording), we no longer have to watch tv programs when they are broadcast; we can watch them on our own schedule (“spare time”).

That means I finally watched NBC’s then-live performance of “The Sound of Music.” Family members kept giving me strange looks and asking “You really like this?”

I struggled with answering because it was both yes and no. Every musical seems to have a superficial story line and hokey dialogue in between characters breaking out into song at odd times. That’s just part of the schtick.

But I guess it was because I knew many of the songs well enough from childhood that kept me watching until the end. The songs were familiar, but I didn’t recall the story line much, especially the Nazi references.

What is it about songs that people want to hear them over and over? A comedian once pointed out that singers can sing the same song for 40 years and everyone thinks it’s great, while comedians have to come up with new material every 15 seconds or they’re duds.

Anyway, I probably wouldn’t have bothered with Sound of Music if the producers hadn’t gotten a famous star – Carrie Underwood – as part of the show. It just seemed to be an appealing mix of old and modern entertainment, enough to get me to record it and watch it, even a few weeks later.

Hopefully, this project was enough of a success that there will be more similar programming.

Alice Cooper in Jesus Christ Superstar? Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment