Mouth-watering Omaha Steaks

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Book review: 'My Life on the Run'

“My Life On the Run” by Bart Yasso (pub. 2008):

From the Runner’s World icon, a great collection of stories, especially of extreme races that most of us would never ever considering attempting for one reason or many.

Going through deserts, up mountains, naked, with burros, biking across the US (twice),  on Antarctica, Mt. Kilimanjaro, India, training a group from a rehab facility for a 22-mile relay, the US Mountain Running Team, getting married in Italy and running a marathon the next day, and finally being inducted into the Running USA Hall of Champions – the list goes on, each an interesting tale. The distance alone rules out most of us. Then add the extreme conditions or circumstances. He also tells of battles with addiction and Lyme disease. All told with humorous touches.

Yasso also describes inventing the “Yasso 800s” workout, which in many cases, gives a reasonably accurate prediction to a marathoner’s finishing time. There also is the reaction from one guy who didn’t get it right and changed the name (it rhymes).

The book also includes several suggested training schedules for everything from a 5k to a full marathon, each at three levels for beginner, seasoned, and hard-core. I myself will stick to my on-the-fly daily jaunts rather than a rigid schedule because, at my level, it works for me and keeps me interested.

As for apparel, there’s a discussion about running being a free-for-all as to what’s acceptable to wear. Unlike other sports, almost anything goes. Some “stunt runners” will do an entire race in boots or costume. I keep it on the plain side, but I guess I fit in.

At the end, is a series of short items about specific runners and another series about races around the world. About our own TC Marathon, besides the now familiar term as the “most scenic urban marathon in America,” Yasso also describes it as one of best-organized marathons in the country. Agreed.

Bart’s slide show is entitled “Never Limit Where Running Can Take You.” More great advice from someone who’s been there, literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment