Mouth-watering Omaha Steaks

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Restaurant/hotel review: Oak Ridge Conf. Center, Chaska MN

Got the opportunity (obligation) to attend a fundraising event at Oak Ridge Hotel and Conference Center in Chaska.

An evening of rubbing elbows with well-dressed old rich white people. Now I know why I was there: I fit three of those descriptions, just not the one they were really looking for.

Step one was putting on my suit. A check of the pockets revealed where I’d been last in it – a co-worker’s funeral three years ago.

This muddies my blog categories because although we ate there, it was a banquet-type setting rather than a restaurant, and although it was at a hotel, we were there only for a few hours of an event.

Oak Ridge is an elegant facility. You can poke around for more details here.

Geographically, it appears to be the hotel that would be associated with any major events at Hazeltine National Golf Club, which is just a triple-bogey to the east.

The three-course meal was served by white-gloved waiters and waitresses over a period of time equal to seven innings of a Twins game.

Ahhh, fine dining. As I buttered my dinner roll, I smiled at the irony of why eating a hard, crusty piece of bread while wearing a tie is thought to be enjoyable. All in all, the food was fine, but realistically I could have gotten the same menu items from Perkins for one-quarter of the cost, albeit without the wine.

I’ll give ‘em one point for the dessert – which no one at our table was able to exactly identify, but it came closest to chocolate cheesecake embellished with whipped cream.

The best moment of the evening was the opening prayer, including a request that we let go of our entitlement mindset and focus on giving. Appropriate words for any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment