Mouth-watering Omaha Steaks

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Outdoors: cold weather conditioning

Summer is over – officially. For some reason, it’s always much harder to get acclimated to weather as it gets colder in the fall (and winter) than when it warms up.

Somewhere I read, perhaps in a waiting room magazine, that “there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate dress.” That became my mantra for awhile, and to a large degree, it’s basically true.

I’ve become a lot more tolerant of weather in the last few years, even intentionally trying to enjoy the extremes. It does feel better to find the beauty in the snowflakes or the thunderclouds than complaining when it isn’t perfect, because it very rarely is perfect. And when it is, it doesn’t last anyway.

Last year, I learned to run in zero degrees and snowstorms, so there is something to that “appropriate dress” thinking.

Now that I can cope with weather, I’m still up against shrinking daylight. Today marks the autumnal equinox where our light and darkness are equal. That means we have three more months of progressively shorter days.

I suppose the only way to overcome that is to move to the land of the midnight sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment